Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Relationship with You My Lord

Ever since I can remember, I have felt God calling me into a relationship with Him. Throughout all of my life I felt more strongly drawn to ‘walking with God’ versus focusing on religious practices and rituals. You see, in all actuality, for most of my life I have strayed away from associating myself with one specific Christian denomination for this specific purpose. I find good in all Christian denominations and feel that their purposes should be one in the same; to glorify and praise our Lord and to allow us to walk closer with Him. I always thought that people can get too wrapped up in the 'legal' aspects of religion (the institution); the place, the rituals and practices, timing, etc. To me, the church should be about creating a community to share life with, to serve in to and mainly to praise our Father and Creator.

In William P. Young’s book, The Shack, God talks about how He loves not the institution, but the community of those that love Him. Although this is not quoted in the Bible, I do believe its roots are founded in them. In the book of Galatians, Paul criticizes the church for their hypocrisy. “…you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace… For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avail anything but faith working through love.” ~Galatians 5:4 and 6~

“…knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ…” ~Galatians 2:16~

“I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.” ~Galatians 2:21~

“…just as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” ~Galatians 3:6~

“What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made…for if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. But the Scripture has confined all under sin…But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.” ~Galatians 3:19-25~

I read this and know that no matter what I do or do not do, I am saved through faith in grace given because of Jesus’ sacrifice and victory over death and sin. Our pastor said in church this morning that ‘Christianity is not spelled DO, but rather DONE! I love that! I know this and feel in all of my heart that it is my relationship with God that is most important. From this relationship, all fruit springs forth. This is why I spend so much time yearning to grow closer with and know my Savior more. While I still think that people can get too wrapped up in the 'legal' aspects of religion (the institution); the place, the rituals and practices, timing, etc., I have now learned however, that this structure can be an amazing tool to further ones spirituality as long as it does not replace it.

God has been leading me and showing me new ‘structured’ ways to praise Him in addition to my current and ever growing ‘practices’. I have embraced these new ‘practices’ as unique ways to show my love and walk deeper with Him. These new times of devotion will not replace my other forms or walk with God. I will not rely on ‘cut and paste’ practices as ways to ‘do my duty’, but rather to help me take my worship one step further. I look forward to this time of growth and thank God for keeping my faith and worship alive and growing. For if I am to ever become stale, I will be of no glory to God. My life is fruitful only with His life living in and through me.

Mirrored in Marriage




Recently my friend Julie brought up the quote from The Shack mentioned above and asked how I thought this idea was mirrored in marriage, since marriage is to be a mirror of Christ’s relationship with the church. Wow, what a wonderful thought and topic! I am so thankful to have such a beautiful new friend who so loves the Lord and is ever eager to grow and walk with Him. I am thankful that Jason and I have another couple in our lives who desire to grow and strengthen their marriage centered on Christ, and allow His love to shine through their family.

If Jesus loves not the institution but the community of those that love Him, then the spouse would love not the 'legal' and 'ritual' aspects of marriage, but rather the relationship, love, commitment, time and fellowship with one another. I think society; mainly the Christian society has created the 'perfect picture' of what a wife and husband should be. The husband should lead, provide, give strength and yet still give love and time. The wife should serve, cook, clean, be gentle and yet strong, passionate and yet submissive and yielding. Etc. These I see as the 'institution' of marriage.; things that 'we must achieve'; Proverbs 31 woman. I see the deeper and more meaningful aspects of marriage as the 'community' of the couple. The memories and bond created by time spent with each other, commitment through good and hard times, fellowship and friendship with each other that comes first, etc. This is what builds marriages of love I think. The other aspects can be used to further grow our marriages and be signs of our outward love, but it can not and should not replace the heart of marriage. A strong marriage grows internally as well as externally, not merely appearing to do the 'right things'.

No comments:

Post a Comment