Sunday, May 15, 2011

12 Week Update

I've just recently looked back at the videos of our boys their first couple of weeks. I knew our boys have grown and changed, but wow... I just really didn't realize how much until I saw the videos. Their cries are so different, they are so much bigger, and their awareness and interaction is drastically different. I am so thankful to have all the little video clips I do of our boys at each stage. You think you'll always remember, but because I am with them every day, I really haven't seen the drastic change after just 12 short weeks!

Here is what has been going on the past few weeks:



  • The boys have learned they can put their hands and fingers in their mouths and have had great fun doing so all the time now! They have discovered their legs as well... They spend a lot of time kicking and stomping them intentionally now. This also keeps them widely amused. It's also made time in the bouncer even more fun for them now as they bounce themselves.


  • The boys are doing great at learning to sit up these days. Wyatt LOVES to sit up and perhaps I should word it the other way saying that he hates to be reclined. So often he's not happy unless he's sitting at 90 degrees. He'll be reclined in our arms or the Boppy and won't just lay back (which makes feedings difficult these days); he's constantly doing what looks like crunches as he tries to pull himself into the sitting position. Just yesterday, he actually did pull himself up a couple of times when he was in his daddy's arms.


  • Because they've been doing so great learning to sit up, the past couple of weeks we've let them play in the activity saucer which they seem to really enjoy. This past week we let them try out the jumparoos and wow... they really do love it. They jump a lot and really enjoy the movement and activity.

    I'm happy to announce that our boys have been sleeping very well the past few weeks! It's by no means perfect, but they are doing great. They wake up once at night for a feeding; some time between 12:30 and 2:30. They then wake up again sometime between 6 and 7. We typically don't start our morning feeding though until 7. Wyatt seems to be the early riser where as Gavin seems to be able to sleep a little later. Their naps are going well too for the most part. They usually get in at least one good nap in a day, along with other shorter naps. They are eating somewhere between every 2.5 - 4 hours and eating somewhere between 3-7.5 oz each feeding. We start our bath time at 7pm at night they are in bed by 8. I'm getting the hang of not having the hang of everything each day. I'm learning that each day will be different and to learn to adjust. I've also learned that having zero expectations helps.

    The boys' looks are starting to change again. Just the other day, Gavin looked just like his Daddy as I was feeding him. It was so strange (and great) to feel like you're feeding your husband from 27 years ago!

  • They boys have learned this past week that they can 'scream' even when they aren't unhappy. I guess you can say they are discovering their voice more these days.


  • The past couple of days they have discovered their hands as well. They'll extend their arms and stare at their hands for a little while; almost as if they are saying... huh... look at that!


  • The boys LOVE to laugh, smile and talk when they are awake!


  • Gavin and Wyatt 'noticed' each other for the first time last week. They laid there and stared at each other, smiled, talked to each other and touched each other. I just sat their and smiled and cried. It was so precious. They don't do it all the time, but they have done it more since then. It will be great fun watching them become best buddies!


  • The past couple of weeks I've been able to go for walks with them without them having a complete meltdown when we get back. I've learned to go first thing in the morning after their feeding and changing. They then get to enjoy the walk a little, then fall asleep. The longer I stay out the longer nap they get in. So we are gone about an hour. They wake up as soon as we get home. We then play for about 30 min and then feed, play for a short while and then they settle into a real nap in their rooms. It seems to work pretty well. I've enjoyed being able to get out too. It's been hard to jog with our stroller though, so we just bought a jogging stroller. It comes in next week and I'm so excited to try it out!


  • I just brought out the 3-6 months clothes for the boys. The other week Wyatt was 14 lbs and Gavin was 13.5 lbs. They are growing so fast it's crazy.

I know there are more great things to talk about, but I have to run and tend to mommy duties. I'll be posting more and adding photos when I get back from my trip to El Paso which we are very excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment