Saturday, March 26, 2011

Happy Birthday Gavin and Wyatt!!! - March 7, 2011



It’s been 2 weeks and a half weeks since Gavin and Wyatt were born and over 2 weeks since we’ve been back home with our boys! I’m just now trying to get around to updating the blog about the events and time that has passed between that beautiful day and now. (This post will just be about their birthday and more will follow.) These past few weeks have flown by. They’ve been an precious, beautiful, trying and a growing period for us all. We wouldn't trade it for anything. We’ve had so much love from family and friends, for which we are truly grateful. My thoughts will likely be scattered, but here we go…

Sunday March 6th
Jason and I went to On The Boarder for one last ‘restaurant outing’ before the boys were born. Boy was I uncomfortable… I couldn’t even order my favorite dessert… chocolate turtle empanadas! But it was great getting out. We then went home and ‘snuggled’ as we watched RED again. We knew we’d be waking up early, so we tried to go to bed at a decent time. I had to sleep on the couch that night like many nights before due to being so darn uncomfortable. I say sleep, but I only got 1.5 hours of sleep that night! I was so excited and nervous about delivery in just a few short hours, sleep never got to visit me!

Monday March 7th
So 4 o’clock rolled around and I got up to take a shower and get ready since we had to leave a little before 5am to head to the hospital. They say having a C-section is nicer because you get to get ready and be prepared for delivery… but… both Jason and I found it to be very difficult. Because we knew what was coming and when, we both suffered from major anxiety that morning… we both felt pretty nauseas off and on. Yes, we were 100% excited, but something about knowing your precious sons will be entering the world in just a few short hours w/o the adrenaline of labor can send your mind whirling. Anyways, we headed out to the hospital on time and checked in at 5:30. By then Jason’s nerves had calmed down, but mine had only a little. We changed into our OR fashion, I got prepped for the operation and we chatted for a while until it was time to wheel me back for my spinal. We were scheduled for deliver at 7:30, but they were running just a little behind.

They wheeled me back as Jason waited in the room. The spinal was so much easier than I thought it would be, but my nerves were crazy. I couldn’t stop shaking no matter how much I tried to reason with myself all was well. Doctor said it’s normal and hormones increase this shaking. Anyways, spinal done, they put me on the operating table and began to prep me on the other side of the curtain. It seemed like forever before Jason was next to me and actually once he walked in, they started. Jason started filming the procedure, but they quickly said we couldn’t. So we waited to film until the boys were born and then got some great footage! Shortly after they started the operation, I asked Jason if he ‘smelt that’… something was burning! He said he didn’t even though I asked again. Later we laughed as he shared that they were using the lazar to cut me and I was smelling my flesh burning. He didn’t want to tell me then just in case I’d ‘freak out’. It was pretty funny. I felt a lot of strange pushing and pulling, but no pain. I couldn’t move from the chest down, except my right big toe… weird, I know!

Anyways, Jason got to witness both boys being born! Gavin Matthew French was born at 8:09 am; weighing 7lbs 8oz and 19.5 inches long. He came out butt first! Wyatt Paul French was born just 2 minutes later at 8:11 am; also weighing 7lbs 8oz and 20 inches long. Both boys were super healthy and strong! Everyone in the operating room was so surprised to see such big boys! After they cleaned the boys up and checked them out in the operating room, they swaddled them and then brought them to me to kiss them, touch them and talk to them! As soon as Gavin heard my voice, he opened his eyes and stared right at me talking to him. The nurses were in awe watching him respond to me so well. I got to spend some time with both boys before they headed to the nursery for a little while as I was being sewn up. We got wonderful video of our first few moments with our beautiful precious boys! Oh how I love them!!!

Jason left with the boys to the nursery. On the way he got to press the button that plays a lullaby throughout the whole hospital letting everyone know a baby was born. But Jason got to press it twice! We got great video of this, as well as our family’s response as they saw the boys through the nursery window! Oh they were so excited and Jason was so proud. I can’t write much more about this since I wasn’t there though… The video says it all!

Shortly after they took me back to my room where Jason met back with me. They then brought our boys to us and we got to hold them and have skin to skin time. Oh, how I love them. It was a precious moment I’ll never forget getting to hold them for the first time. The amazing thing was, that shaking I said I had earlier, never went away all throughout surgery and afterwards. Doctor said it’s normal and is caused by all the hormones. She said it sometimes calms down after you hold your baby… Well, that is just what happened! As soon as they put Gavin and Wyatt in my arms, the shaking stopped! So amazing what that bond can do! Our moms came in shortly afterwards to say hi, along with my grandma, brother and sister. They then left us for a little while as I nursed and we snuggled our boys.

Below are just a few of our pictures from their birthday:



Mom and Dad the morning of our boy's birthday.




Our first snuggle time!



Wyatt Paul French



Gavin Matthew French





No comments:

Post a Comment