Thursday, July 21, 2011

'I Have a Brother!' - Learning to 'Parent' Twins

Gavin and Wyatt are four and a half months now; and up until this past week, I really haven’t seen me as ‘mothering’ twins. Perhaps it’s because they really haven’t interacted with each other until recently. (This is so beautiful to watch!! They are starting to touch, laugh, smile and talk to each other a lot more these days!) Please do not misunderstand what I mean by 'mothering'! I remember seeing the ultrasound for the first time and crying with such excitement and love. I remember what it felt like carrying two very healthy and big boys not too long ago! I remember the first time I saw them and held them in my arms!! I remember all the beautiful times we’ve shared the past several months as they’ve grown. And yes… I remember all the extra ‘work’ involved with having two versus one. When you have twins, your parenting doesn’t increase by one, but rather exponentially. Simple tasks such as wanting to sit outside takes about 5-10 minutes of prep work before you can actually get out there and by that time, they are ready for bed! Feedings, sleeping, and just about every activity takes a lot of planning and organization. Just these past couple of weeks I have become elated that I can now go to the grocery store with the boys ‘all by myself’! So yes, I have ‘noticed’ that we have two wonderful blessings from God, but up until this past week, I really haven’t understood what ‘parenting’ them together will be like.

When you have one baby, ‘everything’ is about them. They get what they want, when they want it, etc. Yes, even if you teach your children life doesn’t ‘revolve around them’ as many of us try to do, they still never have to adjust to another tiny individual who demands everything they do at the same time that they do! The difference I’ve seen this week is found in Gavin’s and Wyatt’s different personalities and abilities developing very quickly. One week, Gavin will be more clingy and high strung, the other week, Wyatt will take his turn. Some times they both need my complete attention at the same time; and yet others they are both completely content in entertaining themselves and exploring the world. This was easier before they were ‘as mobile’ as they are now. Even though they aren’t crawling yet, they are still moving around and are very very active! (Even the pediatrician said they are very active and strong 4 month olds!)

Gavin is really enjoying cereal where as Wyatt is not as enthusiastic right now. This has made meal times even more challenging (as if it wasn’t already!). I now have mastered feeding Wyatt the bottle with my left hand while spoon feeding Gavin with my right (all in high chairs now). And mom of course isn’t fast enough when they both use the spoon or when I have to burp one.

Just this past week, they have discovered that their brother always has the ‘cooler toy’. No matter what toy they have at the moment, they eye their brother’s toy and begin to reach for it. Gavin has actually taken the toys out of Wyatt’s hands. I’m lucky now though, because Wyatt just laughs.

So my thoughts this week have been more about ‘parenting’ twins instead of just the ‘logistics of two’. What many parents face a couple of years after their first is born, we’ll soon be facing ourselves. We’ll have to teach Gavin and Wyatt patience, sharing, love, forgiveness, etc; all at a very early age. I pray that God provides the right words and direction each step of the way. I pray Gavin and Wyatt develop a very special bond that will keep them close their whole lives. I pray God is the center of their relationship; as we as parents try to make sure He is the center of our house and lives.

With all this said, I want to reiterate just how thankful I am for our two blessings God has entrusted us with. I am forever thankful for such beautiful little boys; beautiful on the outside yes, but so fearfully and wonderfully made by our Creator!!! I am so excited to watch as they begin to reveal who God made them to be. May we help them to learn who they are, Whose they are, and how He wants to use them. Thank You God for our twins!!! Please help us be the parents You call us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment