Saturday, April 17, 2010

Another Ebb and Tide...

It’s been almost two weeks since our egg retrieval. A lot has happened in these two weeks and none of it was what we had envisioned, planned or hoped for. Jason had to take me to the ER on Thursday after the retrieval which led to my admittance to the hospital that evening. You read of the risks associated with certain procedures or medicines you take throughout your life, but you always assume or pray the worst won’t really happen to you. We knew I could likely develop Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome and that even a much smaller percentage could require hospitalization. I guess I was just one of those odds; just my draw of the cards. I spent 5 days and 5 nights in the hospital as they treated Sever OHHS. I think Thursday – Saturday was the most emotional for me and Jason and we learned of my sever situation and dealt with the hospital’s incompetence and lack of communication in the beginning. IVs, antibiotics, bed rest and I ended up having 3 paracentesis of over 6 liters total (draining of the fluid build up in my abdomen). My ovaries were the size of baseballs instead of walnuts which caused so much of the problems. My body sent all my nutrients to the site of the ‘infection’, which left nothing for my blood and rest of the body. I got to go home this past Tuesday evening though and have spent my days in bed resting. I gained 15-20 lbs of water retention while in the hospital and I’m so very thankful to say it’s all off now. I’ll have to spend the next week or two resting and staying at home with very limited activity.

They ended up having to freeze our embryos and we will try the transfer process here in the next couple of months after my body has time to heal and get healthy again. We want to make sure our babies have the best possible start and right now, my body couldn’t do that. I won’t have to go through the egg retrieval process again, so the transfer process is much easier and no risk of OHHS again. Maybe mid-June or mid-July will be our new transfer date.

For now, I’ll work on getting healthy and back to work as well. I pray for strength during this time as I struggle with the ebb and tide of emotions yet again. I know with God all things are possible, but I struggle with trying to build a wall around myself to protect from risk of future hurts, disappointments, frustrations and fears. I know this isn’t good and pray for God to help. I pray I grow and strengthen, but by no means do I want to become hardened. This is hard on me and Jason, but we are going through this as a couple. I am so thankful for him by my side. He’s been such a wonderful help as I heal. I also am so thankful for our wonderful family and friends who have prayed and help us during this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment