Thursday, April 22, 2010

Round Two - Another Hospital Visit

Monday morning I woke up with extreme pains under my right ribcage. It subdued enough for me to be able to take a shower, and sit down on the couch to try to start working again. The pains started to come back, but only when I moved or took a deep breath. I thought it would go away, naturally, so I joined in on our conference call for work. 30 minutes later I had to hang up b/c the pains were so bad. I had to take shallow breaths. To make a long story short, about noon I had my sweet neighbor Kim take me to the ER and Jason met us there. My mother-in-law also came to join us shortly after. 7 hours, a CT Scan, chest x-ray, ultrasound, blood tests, pain meds, etc later, I was admitted into the hospital again with fluid on the lung after ruling out gallbladder and blood clots. So I spent Monday night in the hospital wondering if they were going to have to drain the fluid using a needle through the back (very risky due to the possibility of puncturing the lungs) or if it could drain naturally.

I found out Tuesday late morning that we would let it drain naturally. I had breathing treatments and exercises to do to help my lungs expand, push out the fluid and help prevent pneumonia. I saw 3 doctors that day and spoke with our fertility clinic on the phone. We got to see the CT Scans which was pretty interesting in itself. The fluid build up was a result of the Ovarian Hyperstim from last week. Getting the severe form of Hyperstim and requiring hospitalization is rare as well as developing the fluid around the lung. So at this point after beating all the ‘odds’, I’m thinking we need to buy a lotto ticket and see what happens! Maybe this time the results could be fun, ha!

I was released Wednesday afternoon and told to do my breathing exercises every hour. I’ll head back to the doctors next week to check on my progress unless something changes for the worse between now and then. I’m so thankful to be home, but it’s still a little unnerving to know I’m sitting here with fluid around my lungs…

I felt really worried on Monday sitting in the ER as the thought of a blood clot was on everyone’s mind. I prayed often for God’s peace during this anxious time. What relief when a clot was ruled out! The pain was awful, but I was thankful it wasn’t consistent. When I was told to take the deep breaths and exercises despite the pain, I wasn’t thrilled, but it sure did help! Pain is always okay when you know it’s going to help you and prove good results in the end. Pain without knowing the cause or wondering if you are hurting your self worse is unnerving.

I woke up Tuesday pretty frustrated down deep that I was back in the hospital. Thankful at the same time though for all my blessings and knowing God was right there with me, I decided to focus my time on correcting my attitude and keep my eyes on God. It was a difficult day trying not to pout while I was in there, but a beautiful day as I purposefully counted my blessings. This hospital stay was much easier now that I had become more of a pro at hospital visits and routines!

Tuesday night gave me very little sleep! I was woken up every 30 min to an hour for ultrasounds to check for blood clots, ultrasounds to check for fluid in my abdomen from last week, blood pressure checks, antibiotics through IVs, blood work, etc. Needless to say I was pretty tired on Wednesday, but perked up when I found out I was going to be able to come home!

I’ll never fully know why God has allowed us to go through ALL of this, but I trust Him and am thankful that He is right here with us. I am thankful I can give Him all my anxieties, fears, concerns, thoughts, hopes, joys, future, health, family and loved ones and know that He is sovereign and perfect and holy; He has plans for all of us, plans for a future full of good in which His name will be glorified and He will continue to pour out His love for us.


Here are some of Scripture verses I focused on this week:

~Isaiah 41:9-10~
“You whom I have taken from the end of the erath, and called from its farthest regions, and said to you, ‘You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you away: Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’”

~Lamentations 3:22-26~
“Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. ‘The LORD is my portion,’ says my soul. ‘Therefore I hope in Him!’ The LORD is good to those who wait on Him. To the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.”

No comments:

Post a Comment